Dean Street enjoys nine-goal thriller

Shildon AFC played their penultimate home game of the season against Consett on Saturday 15th April and in an entertaining and high scoring match, they ran out worthy 6-3 winners.

Kicking with a strong wind behind them in the opening period, Shildon took the lead on 17 minutes when Jordan Lavery fouled Billy Greulich-Smith in the box and Shildon left-back, Matty Robson, who has become the side’s regular penalty taker in recent months, scored from the spot kick.

Just before the break the Railwaymen doubled their lead when free kick specialist Lewis Wing fired a trademark dead ball past keeper Ross Coombe from 25 yards.

With the second half just two minutes old, it was Consett’s turn to take advantage of the wind and the deficit was halved when Jordan Lavery’s free kick from way out beat Shildon’s giant stopper, Nick Liversedge.

But immediately from the restart, Shildon when down the other end and Sam Hodgson scored the goal of the game, thundering an unstoppable shot into the top corner from 25 yards.

With just ten minutes remaining it looked like Shildon had secured the points, but remarkably, less than half the game’s goals had yet been scored.

A cross from the left found Consett’s Daniel Craggs, and his powerful header brought the visitors back into the game for a second time.

But the pattern was also repeated by the home side, who promptly headed down the other end and restored their two-goal advantage within a minute through Lewis Wing, who turned and fired in a great volley from close range.

Four minutes later, Adam Burnicle added a fifth for Shildon to surely put the game out of sight with just fine minutes remaining.

But back came Consett to reduce the deficit once more when a cross from Jordan Nellis found Lewis Teasdale for an easy tap in.

Fans would have been forgiven for thinking they were trapped in some kind of Groundhog Day-style loop when, just a minute later, Micky Rae ran through and fired into the bottom corner to restore Shildon’s three-goal lead.

Remarkably, five goals had been scored in just eight minutes. Even more remarkably, every time Consett scored, Shildon retaliated and scored just a minute later.

No Comments »

No one has posted a comment yet.

Leave a comment

Complete the form below to post a comment about this article. Comments will be published online and may appear in the next print edition of The Town Crier. For correspondance to the Editor, please use the Contact Us page.

Latest News

Dance the night away
November 23, 2017 - 0 Comments
Shildon Alive! launch a ‘Fridge For All’
November 23, 2017 - 0 Comments
Greenfield take ‘Extraordinary’ steps to success
November 23, 2017 - 0 Comments
Andrew and Vicki tie knot in sea of blue
November 23, 2017 - 0 Comments
Prince Bishops pupils donate to local children
November 23, 2017 - 0 Comments
Latest Sport
Railwaymen slump to fourth consecutive defeat
November 23, 2017 - 0 Comments
Shildon FOL sink Chelsea
November 23, 2017 - 0 Comments
Spectrum add to medals tally
November 23, 2017 - 0 Comments
Shildon’s FA Vase hopes sunk by Seasiders
November 23, 2017 - 0 Comments
Over 40s hit for six in cup collapse
November 23, 2017 - 0 Comments