Railway tunnel marks 175th anniversary

Wednesday 19th April will mark the 175th anniversary of the Prince of Wales railway tunnel’s official opening.

The tunnel runs between Chestnut Close / Burnie Gardens in Shildon and Campbell Terrace – commonly known as Paddy’s Row – in Eldon Lane and is thought to be the world’s oldest working railway tunnel which passes under a settlement.

At the start of the railway lines in 1825, Bishop Auckland and the coalfields of Crook and surrounding areas could not be reached, and it was the owners of these coalfields who agitated for the tunnel to be driven through.

Several members of various factions of railway history groups will be marking the event, and are inviting anyone with an interest to go along.

The group will meet adjacent to the aqueduct at the south entrance at 11.20am, when they will then walk to the Locomotion Museum.

For more details email jraw2833@aol.com.


No Comments »

No one has posted a comment yet.

Leave a comment

Complete the form below to post a comment about this article. Comments will be published online and may appear in the next print edition of The Town Crier. For correspondance to the Editor, please use the Contact Us page.

Latest News

Summer reading challenge
July 20, 2017 - 0 Comments
Scouts take part in Annual Camp
July 20, 2017 - 0 Comments
Flying Scotsman to return to Shildon
July 20, 2017 - 0 Comments
Campaign secures Coronation car park
July 20, 2017 - 0 Comments
Guerilla Gardeners make town more beautiful
July 20, 2017 - 0 Comments
Latest Sport
Shildon Running Club Champions and Charity
July 20, 2017 - 0 Comments
‘Boro provide tough test for Shildon
July 20, 2017 - 0 Comments
Latest Lotto News
July 20, 2017 - 0 Comments
Graduate Jack is LA-bound
July 14, 2017 - 0 Comments
Supporters meeting
July 14, 2017 - 0 Comments