Railwaymen remain on track in league and cup

Shildon survived a midweek scare last week to progress to the second round of the Durham Challenge Cup 5-4 on penalties after being held to a 1-1 draw in 90 minutes by second division Durham City.

The match, played at Willington, Durham’s shared home ground this season, saw the division two stragglers take the lead midway through the first half when a slip by Sam Hodgson let Durham in on goal to take the lead against the run of play.

A much-changed Shildon side struggled to get back into the game and it wasn’t until the big guns on the bench were let loose in the final 20 minutes that the Railwaymen found a foothold in the game.

With ten minutes remaining it was one of these substitutes, Billy Greulich-Smith who rose highest to nod in the equaliser from a corner.

Shildon subjected the Durham goal to an onslaught but the back line held firm and the game was decided on penalties. In a tense shootout, Shildon converted each of their first five, and was Durham who blinked first with Nick Liversedge making the decisive save to send Shildon through.

The Railwaymen returned to league action on Saturday when they played host to Washington at a windy Dean Street and it took until two minutes before the break for the home side to make the breakthrough.

A quickly taken free kick allowed Jack Blackford to cross and in his effort to prevent the ball reaching Greulich-Smith, Andrew Brown could only watch on helplessly as his interception beat his own keeper.

With 20 minutes to go, Shildon sealed the win when Matty Robson’s 30 yard free kick beat the Washington wall and goalkeeper.

A last minute Washington penalty proved little consolation for the visitors.

The win lifts Shildon to fourth place in the league with games in hand over their higher placed opponents and ahead of a top of the table clash on Saturday (4th November) against league leaders Morpeth Town at Craik Park.

Before then, Shildon will have travelled to Penrith in the hope of keeping up their 100% record away from home intact.

No Comments »

No one has posted a comment yet.

Leave a comment

Complete the form below to post a comment about this article. Comments will be published online and may appear in the next print edition of The Town Crier. For correspondance to the Editor, please use the Contact Us page.

Latest News

Dance the night away
November 23, 2017 - 0 Comments
Shildon Alive! launch a ‘Fridge For All’
November 23, 2017 - 0 Comments
Greenfield take ‘Extraordinary’ steps to success
November 23, 2017 - 0 Comments
Andrew and Vicki tie knot in sea of blue
November 23, 2017 - 0 Comments
Prince Bishops pupils donate to local children
November 23, 2017 - 0 Comments
Latest Sport
Railwaymen slump to fourth consecutive defeat
November 23, 2017 - 0 Comments
Shildon FOL sink Chelsea
November 23, 2017 - 0 Comments
Spectrum add to medals tally
November 23, 2017 - 0 Comments
Shildon’s FA Vase hopes sunk by Seasiders
November 23, 2017 - 0 Comments
Over 40s hit for six in cup collapse
November 23, 2017 - 0 Comments